Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mexico

Its been a long time since I've been out of Mexico - since 1984. Though I've been here in the States for 29 years, there is something special about going back to where your roots are. Its like going to a place where ghosts abound and like a time traveler, you see yourself walking along the same streets, but in another time, in another life. One that you barely can recognize or even believe that you were part of. Here are some shots of places I used to frequent.



As kids, my brother and I used to go to this theater. They played mostly Disney movies; Pete an the Dragon, Herbie, Return to Witch Mountain, etc.
I do  not remember ever seeing it as a church.

This is a shot of the basilica from one of the main avenues.  I remember seeing Pope Juan Pablo II from this corner during his first visit to Mexico. circa 1979?

Eje Central - Right where the Torre Latino intersects. Another area that I was fond of going to even on a whim.

As a boy scout, I got to spend an entire night forming a barrier between the crowd and "VIP's going to sing to The Virgin Mary on the first December 12 after the new basilica was built.






No comments: